CENTERVILLE — Four Centerville residents were displaced Monday after an early evening fire tore through their home.
Crews were first dispatched just before 5:30 p.m. to 163 Sawmill Lane in Cumberland Valley Township and, according to Cumberland Valley Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mark Grapes, when the first crew “rolled in,” the fire was already half way across the basement and all of the way across the attic of the home.
Early in the firefight, crews were ordered out of the structure and the fire also had present a thick, what Grapes described as “chocolatey” looking smoke which was caused by unburned fuel that didn’t get enough oxygen, according to the chief.
Due to how quickly the fire spread, Grapes said that more and more manpower was quickly required.
Cumberland Valley was assisted by multiple crews from both Bedford County and Allegany County, Maryland including: Alum Bank Community, Bedford, Everett, Shawnee Valley and Southern Cove Volunteer fire companies and Bedford Area Ambulance and Cumberland Valley ambulance out of Bedford County and Bowman’s Addition, Bowling Green and Bedford Road Volunteer fire companies and Tri-Towns ambulance out of Allegany County, Maryland.
Grapes said the fire is under investigation and that he had already been in contact with the state police fire marshal who is expected to be at the scene today to investigate.
Crews cleared the scene by 9:30 p.m. and the call was cleared at 10:29 p.m. The American Red Cross was called to assist the family.
Grapes said that he was thankful for all of the help and that crews remained unharmed.
“I’m just thankful we got the Red Cross here to help the family and thankfully all of the firefighters and EMS were OK,” he said.